Saturday, May 12, 2012

Something new: Yoga

Earlier this week, my sister convinced me to buy one of those discount deals for a local yoga studio.  It was 5 classes for $20.  I've never taken a yoga class before.  I've done some yoga with various home workouts and enjoyed it, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I was a little apprehensive about the whole class-setting thing.  I was afraid I'd be really self-conscious and uncomfortable.  Curiosity won out in the end, though.

When we were on our way this morning, my sister mentioned that she hoped it wasn't really busy because of the discount deal.  She said the website showed they had sold over 100 packages!  We were the first ones there and the instructor was very nice and we got signed in and picked a spot.  There were about 12 mats out.

By the time class started, there were 21 students and we had to keep scooting closer together.  But the vibe of the place was so calming that it didn't bother me.  Normally 21 people in a room that small would make me want to run for the door.

I wasn't self-conscious at all.  I think I did fairly well for a newbie... an out-of-shape, overweight newbie at that.  After going through the poses, we laid on the floor and meditated for a while and the instructor would come by to "love on you and make you more comfortable".  I wasn't sure what that meant.  She did say if we'd rather she not touch us, to put our hands on our stomach, but I was curious enough to get over my usual "don't touch me" policy.  She came by and stood over me and gently pushed my shoulders down a bit.  I carry all my stress in my shoulders, so it's hard for me to relax them completely.  In fact, when she pushed, I almost burst into tears.  Not because she hurt me.. it was just kind of like she released something.

I had a blast.  I woke up in a really foul mood this morning and by the time I left there, I was just on Cloud 9.  I've had so much energy that for the better part of the day, I couldn't sit still.  Now, I'm exhausted, though.  And pretty sure I'll be super stiff and sore tomorrow.  Totally worth it.  I'm excited for next week.  I wish I could go more than once a week, but there's the kid thing ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment